Sunday, June 23, 2013

"Mightier Than The Noise Of The Mighty Waters"

6/23/13, 7:22 AM

Psalm 93:3-4


“The floods have lifted up, O Lord, the floods have lifted up their voice; the floods lift up the roaring of their waves.
 The Lord on high is mightier and more glorious than the noise of many waters, yes, than the mighty “breakers and waves of the sea.”


I've never thought about flood waters being full of noise before.  But they are.  They rush and roar and command total attention. Noise, has an inescapable quality and an air of torment.

In recent years we have all watched as floods have ravaged cities and people all over the world.  We have watched as Tsunami waters wipe out thousands of people in a matter of moments and forever change the face of nations and families.  Yes, I do believe floods are full of noise.

Floods are far reaching. They overtake and destroy, leaving behind damage, disappointment and loss.  I spent some time last year in Denpasar, Indonesia where I was given an up close view of what a flood can do as I met some of the children left orphaned by the Tsunami there.  What could be louder than the noise that the loss of family and all you have known can bring?  Can there be anything louder?

Yet How significant this one little passage in Psalm 93 is!  "The Lord on high is MIGHTIER and MORE GLORIOUS than the noise of the many waters…".

It is so easy in the midst of the noise and panic of a flood to forget that The Lord on high IS mightier!  His voice is louder than the noise round about.  His power to SAVE and REDEEM (or buy back) is unmatched. No mater how high the waters have come, the Voice of God is over the waters.  He sends the word and the waters are held back.

When I went to see the children of Indonesia, what I found wasn't devastation!  Surprisingly, I couldn't find mourning and self-pity for all that these little ones had experienced in their short lives so far.  What I found was the sound of VICTORY rising.  I heard the voices of children singing the praises of Him who called them OUT of darkness and INTO the Glorious Light of  Jesus!  I saw joy and laughing in places that made no sense. I heard stories of hope when all hope should have been gone!

What had happened as praise and worship began in these children's lives? The noise of the waves and the war was being SILENCED  and a declaration was going forth that our God IS greater! "Out of the mouths of babes you have ordained PRAISE to SILENCE the avenger and the foe!" (Psalm 8) The more they sang and talked about how Jesus found them and saved them, the quieter the waters were becoming.

Those days in Indonesia have forever changed me.  I will always remember the VOLUME of the voices of the children  that first moment I walked into their service and heard them sing. I remember and I am challenged to SING all the louder.  Louder than the noise of the waters...

  This I know for sure, there is NOTHING that the power of Jesus Christ cannot overcome!  No flood, no noise, no devastation is beyond His ability!  There is nothing we face that is truly hopeless when we know Jesus. So SING.  Psalm 31:24, "Be strong and take heart, all you who Hope in The Lord!"





1 comment: